The good - our FCC held its annual Chinese New Year Bash. As always it was excellent. Mr. M and I have just ached for the year when we had JJ to take with us. This year was our turn and it was exhausting (OK, YOU chase a wired toddler for 3 + hours) and WONERFUL. They had the usual Chinese meal, and a fund raiser auction. They also have traditional chinese music, and this year it was really wonderful.But every year the high point is our local Lion Dancers. They do an AMAZING job. The dancers are young and athletic. They need to be - they work hard.
I am happy to report that JJ was not dismayed by all the hubbub and commotion. In fact she basically ROCKED OUT. She had both arms waving in the air (I was worried - the performance is pretty intense).
Our announcer had the excellent suggestion that the Children touch the costumes before the dance started. We started off with one finger (gentle, like we do with our cats). Once she figured it wasn't going to bite I basically had to remove JJ - she was ready to take them apart on the spot.
Um - this is a TOTALLY gratitous shot. My dearest long time friend gave JJ this cure outfit, and I want her to see how it lookes on her. I think JJ will be able to wear the dress through this summer.
Also totally gratutious. This is how we know that JJ had a big day. There are rugs all over. She is passed out on the cold vinyl floor. OK - the bad. Everyone here has that viral crud going around. JJ has had a raspy rattl-y chest for over 10 days, so although she is only mildly sick off to the ped. she goes because there has been an epedemic of pneumonia around here.
The sad? Mr. M took film from the camera we send to China in to have extra sets made. JJ saw the prints, including the one of her foster mom. JJ recognized her and it threw her. She was unusually anxious and clingy all day. I think it set her sense of security back a bit.
OTOH, it is part of JJ's story, and I want it to always be something she knows. Clearly she was very very loved and cared for by this foster mom, and I want to honor the foster mom and the orphanage staff for this. I just wish JJ had more language so we could explain better. Dang.
No comments:
Post a Comment