Looking East and West

Like cold water to a weary soul, so is good news from a distant land. Proverbs 25:25

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fw: ni hao !


A posting from Mr. M (Baba to JJ) -
Mr. M is the stay in touch communicator of the family and this is something he just sent to our contact at our adoption agency to bring her up to date on JJ and on us . . . And new photo's of course!

To GOD be the Glory; great things He has done!

Hello XXX

Thanks for getting back to me.

My brother described parenting as "You are an oak in the morning, tall and strong. By the end of the day, your child has whacked-away so that you fall into bed each night." I consider your reply a real gift because JJ is a miracle and you were the first to tell me she is "adorable."

18 months later I am humbled each time she hugs me. Most friends say I have never smiled as I do at the mention of JJ or when I see her. I may be one of thousands of adoptive Babas, but each one I meet has the same humbled awareness of how very easy it was to procrastinate and those of us who waited 3 years after LID know some who chose not to wait.

18 months of photographs and memories. The tiny- toddler I carried in Hohhot is now a truly little girl. We greet each other in Mandarin or American sign language, but more each day she simply says what's on her mind, in English, the same as every biokid I meet at the park. June LiPiao meets every developmental milestone usually by hurdling over them! Kim likes to say, "Smitten were you that afternoon in Hohhot," and smitten I remain. The path to JJ was long and strewn with potholes but as with almost every miracle, worth it!

I pray that all of you (and your families) are well and that summer in Colorado isn't too extreme.
Should ever you alight in our home town, please accept my invitation to meet our daughter in her backyard.

Hearing from my "partner in-waiting," brings many fond memories of speaking with you and Josh in 2008.
I never believed I would be blessed, but you and Josh did. And hearing the conviction in your voices Inspired me to hope. Each time I see June LiPiao in Mrs. M's arms, I weep knowing I had some minor part. Now of course I am a major player, a partner in parenting and as proud a Baba as ever walked planet Earth.

No comments: