Looking East and West

Like cold water to a weary soul, so is good news from a distant land. Proverbs 25:25

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Seeing your day the JJ way


I was looking back at some of the pictures from our first months with JJ.

It is always amazing how fast they grow and change - particularly at this age.  JJ was always a pretty strong personality, but now her verbal skills are improving and she can express that little personality.  She has quite the vocabulary, and a sweet voice that gets raspy when she is tired.  She tells us what to do when she can get away with it, and has a sort of verbal stream of consciousness going on. 

I have the Mandarin language CD's in the car, and often she wants to listen to them.  Sometimes she repeats along - sometimes she talks back.  For example:  CD narrator:  I feel sick,  followed by the Mandarin version of same.  JJ - NO! I don't feel sick, I feel fine!  This is funny for the first 3 or 4 minutes.  After that I have to change the CD.

Today - JJ:  Mama, do I go to the Mattress racing school tomorrow.  Me - Uh . .  .. Uh . . . . do you maybe mean the Montessori school?  JJ - Yeah.

In Montessori they are learning all about plants and plant parts.  JJ loves this section (miss Nature Girl that she is).  Today she noticed the new flowers growing in the front.  "Look Mama - Sweetie Pies!"  (sweetie pie is one of the things we call her - and the cats).   UM UM - they were sweet pea's.    Somehow Sweetie Pies sounded right for a minute or two.

And yesterday while shopping:  "Mama - boys are stinky!  Said with a darling little boy standing right next to us looking rather stricken.  I had a few stern words with Ms. J - but in fact I know who is really to blame.  Baba is already concerned about dating, and his telling JJ that boys are stinky is Mr. M's version of a preemptive strike.  I had a few more words with Mr. M about the whole subject, and he assures me he has apologized to little miss and told her boys are not stinky.  What is didn't say was anything about what he told her boys really are like.  I'm listening.

I know why he is concerned.  When we got Ms J two notable features were her physical strength and rather high activity level.  We were reading tomboy.  Imagine our surprise when our little tomboy turned out to be a very strong and fast - whirly twirly girly girl.  This girl LOVEs dresses, preferably pink with a long twirly skirt.  She LOVES party clothes.  She loves to swing and slide in party clothes.  I buy party clothes used . . . but I digress.

So Mr. M is starting to figure out we may be beating the boys off with a stick  . . . and worrying about it.

 




No comments: