Looking East and West

Like cold water to a weary soul, so is good news from a distant land. Proverbs 25:25

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Treasures beyond measure


We were completely blown away by the kindness and generosity of our family and friends at JJ's showers. JJ received wonderful clothes, toys and books. There are two treasures we received that require special mention however (for slightly different reasons).

First was a gift from my sister -Auntie C. She had taken quilt squares passed down from my fathers grandmother Basham and completed a small quilt using them for the facing. On close inspection I believe these are flour sack materials. Somehow she found a wonderful compatible material for the backing. This goes in a safe place, particularly as we have Annie the material shredding cat to deal with.

The other gift was a crib quilt of new materials from my very close friend (since we were 13!) Kathleen. She had picked the fabrics 3 years ago when we got our LID. When I called her with our referral news and told her the translation of JJ's Chinese name ("Beautiful Flutter, just like a butterfly's wings flutter") I could hear her tearing up even over the phone. Turns out this quilt fabric had a butterfly pattern front and back - and she had got back to the fabric store at least once to decide if it was "right". Well, in fact it is perfect.

I was touched beyond words.

No comments: