Looking East and West

Like cold water to a weary soul, so is good news from a distant land. Proverbs 25:25

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Parenting in both directions


I just read a post by another blogger called "parenting backwards" in which she talks about how her girls like to be babied.

I know exactly what she means because JJ is fascinated with being our baby. We may find her crawling around and pretending to baby babble or telling us "feed me like a baby" or "change me like a baby" (can't say how many times I have pretended to change a non existent diaper. In public restrooms no less).

But at the same time JJ has a very independent streak. She wants to do everything herself. She has been putting herself into the carseat and buckling everything up for a very long time, knows how to button, zip and snap, can dress herself, loves to "help" with cooking and cleaning. You get the idea.

So we get some very vacillating behaviors. Often she will work hard, master something very difficult - then demand we do it for her "like a baby". I feel I am working on both her dependence and giving her a babyhood with us at the same time.

We probably know what this is about. She has been comparing she and I for a while now and showing me how she is Just Like Mama. She points to my freckles (about 10K of them) then shows me hers (all 2 of them).

She is establishing herself as part of us, and, I think, is sort of rebuilding her memory so we are always part of her story. She knows she is from China and had a China foster momma - but I still bet when she is older she will see it as Baba and I were there when she was a baby.

It is somewhere between adorable and maddening. But she won't want a pretend diaper change when she is ten - will she?

No comments: