Looking East and West

Like cold water to a weary soul, so is good news from a distant land. Proverbs 25:25

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Well . . . (the suspense is killing me)

We don't always believe it actually happened . . . and we weren't just dreaming it. But I have a photo so it must be real.

We got "the call" at 9:09 this morning. I was in a meeting (of course) but had warned everyone I thought the call was coming, so I walked out and took the call - then I called Mr. M. who was on volunteer duty at the hospital. He was so excited - he had to sit down and literally catch his breath.

We are pleased, thrilled, and somewhat surprised to announce the referral of our daughter

Name: Wu, Li Piao (translated beautiful flutter)
DOB: May 4, 2007 (approx 18 months)
Stats at 15 months:
Height 31", Weight 23 lbs, 5 teeth and healthy

She has been in foster care. Likes being carried outside to play.
Favorite toys - little animals and cloth dolls
Oh - and current place of residence is Hohhot, capital of INNER MONGOLIA

I see a trip to REI for thermals in our future.

This is pretty funny because on Saturday on of our FCC members was telling me not to worry about travel in December because the girls are all from Southern China where it is not all that cold

Also - is it just me, or is 31" a bit tall for a 15 month old. If this is accurate do we need to get a basketball hoop ready to go?

The agency lady warned me about her photo - they got her with her eyes half closed. And one of the other two they are sending she is - um- "not very happy".

Don't care. I'll post the other 2 tomorrow night.
Thanks to everyone who prayed for us and cheered us on.
God has been gracious to us. Like the header on the blog says:

Like cold water to a weary soul, so is good news from a distant land. Proverbs 25:25

Maybe with an emphasys on the "cold" part. :-)
We are praying we will be a blessing to this little one.

33 comments:

Michelle said...

WOO HOO!!!!!!!! I am so, so happy for you guys. She is beautiful, eyes closed or not. Can't wait to see her in your arms.

Congratulations!

the mommy said...

Eyes closed or not she is beautiful. Congratulations....

My daughter was 30 inches at 15 months she is tall and beautiful..

Susan

TK said...

COngrats! I'm sure that once she is in mom's and dad's arms she will brighten up quickly!
I love the meaning of her name-beautiful flutter. It makes me think of graceful butterflies!
Enjoy this new journey!

Connie said...

Even with her eyes closed she is cute as can be! Congrats!

marcy said...

Found you on RQ--I love reading the referral announcements! Congratulations! She is gorgeous, and what a fun age! Still very very "baby" yet also so able to participate in everything around her.
I had to laugh about the "not very happy" photos and the eyes-half-closed photos. She is just like our daughter! You can't imagine the difficulty getting our daughter to stop screaming and open her eyes for the visa photo in Guangzhou. But she was and still is a smiley girl...just not happy to pose for pics!
Congrats again!
Marcy, mom to 4 (2 from China)

Lisa and Tate said...

Congrats!!! Even eyes half closed she is so cute! You will be a blessing to her and she to you both.....

I have a good friend who's daughter is from the same area.... she traveled just end of Nov. Check out Eliza's story. it is linked on my blog....

SO excited for y'all!!!

fuzzandfuzzlet said...

She is adorable, closed eyes and all.

I found this on the web
How Much Should My Child Grow?

During this second year of life, your toddler may gain between 3 and 5 pounds (1.4 to 2.26 kilograms). An average 15-month-old girl weighs about 22 pounds (about 10 kilograms) and stands 31 inches (79 centimeters) tall. Boys tend to be about a pound heavier at 15 months but about the same height.

Sounds like she is perfectly average for height.

C's Mom said...

Many congrats on your cutie!

Don and Be said...

I'm doing the happy dance for you! It's not a pretty sight, but it's from the heart. Here comes Joanna Mei! Come on baby, do the happy dance with Baba ..... oy, she does it just like me ..... thank you for allowing us in blogland to eavesdrop on your journey. Li Piao will be a wonderful addition to your family! Joanna Mei is small of stature and tall - 31" and 19 pounds (and going up) - her pediatrician (who does a lot of work with patients of iternational adoption) says that it is not uncommon in children of Asian countries. American criteria will be different but she is average on the World Health Org charts. Yes, a basketball hoop may be in your future. I'm babbeling on, I'm so happy for you. Since we both fall into that same 'late calling to parenthood' category, we are unique and will, no doubt, have some interesting life stories along the way. Blessings on the 3 of you - OK, JMei - you can stop doing the Happy Dance - time for a bath.

Alyson and Ford said...

We are so happy for you. Just like Don & Be, we are there with you in age.
Your daughter will be so blessed to have you are parents.
Can't wait to see more pictures. Soon you will be taking hundreds!!

Alyson
Alyzabeth's Mommy for Seven and a half Weeks!
LID 01/27/06

Research-China.Org said...

Congratulations on your referral!!! We have information on your daughter, including her finding ad, which has a younger photo of her than the referral. Come visit us soon!

All the best!!!

Brian

Nina said...

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you! Soon you will put a smile on that beautiful face :)

Laurel said...

CONGRATULATIONS...VERY exciting and happy news!!! You know what struck me first when I saw your daughter's photo...her beautiful rosebud mouth..gorgeous!!! Best wishes and happiness always!

Jen said...

Congratulations! Soon, very soon, you'll have plenty of opportunities to catch her with her eyes open... how exciting. She is a cutie pie!

tiffany said...

We also have a very tall, beautiful Chinese daughter. :) She is just about to turn 6 but many guess her to be about 8. She will never have to worry about her weight and will be able to wear the cutest clothes with no alterations. Something that as her 5'2" mother, I can not relate to so much. :)

Congratulations on your beautiful new daughter! Best wishes for a speedy and wonderful journey.

Kim said...

Congrats and best wishes for a sppedy TA and even speedier CA.
What a great way to start the holidays with the knowledge that your little one has arrived :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful even if her eyes are half closed! Congratulations!!!

Christi and Abbey said...

Congratulations! So happy for you all!!

Tracy said...

Congrats on your sweet and cute girl!!

"T" said...

Congrats.. I also have a tall girl waiting for me at 19 month she was 34" She is now almost two so I am buying 3 year old stuff.

Karen said...

Congratulations!
We have a daughter from the Gansu province and she is VERY tall. Although she is our youngest (turned 6 last week), she is taller than her 7 1/2 year old brother and sister, as well as, taller than her 9 year old sister.
We noticed most of the woman from our daughter's home town were tall and beautiful!

Sarah said...

So HAPPY to see a couple of 50 somethings getting their referral! We are also in that age range and still have a ways to go (end of March 2006)...

Layers will be the most cost effective & efficient way of keeping warm.....oh, and don't forget the hats and gloves!

- A San Diegan who has been living in upstate NY for 12 years.

T said...

I am thrilled for you! Our sweetie is also from Inner Mongolia but she is from the city of Chifeng. We were in Hohhot in Feb 2007. Congratulations! There is a yahoo group for children adopted from inner mongolia if you are interested.

Elizabeth Hummel said...

Hi! I saw your blog on RQ -My daughter is also from Inner Mongolia - it is rare to find referrals from this area! We were in Hohhot last November. Congratulations! I also belong to a Yahoo Group for families that have adopted from IM - email me at ekhummel@msn.com if you want information or have questions.

Congratulations again!
Elizabeth

Heather said...

Congratulations! Woo Hoo! I love seeing all these beautiful babies, especially the Mongolian Beauties. My almost 4-year-old came home from Inner Mongolia in April 2006. She was 31.5 inches at 15 months and predicted to be 5'9"! Let me know if you have any questions about IM. There is also an IM yahoo group for adoptive parents.

Heather said...

Oh, and, yeah, it will be freezing cold in IM when you travel. It was cold when we were there in April and when we travelled to pick up our youngest daughter in Taiyuan, Shanxi (just to the south of IM) in December, it was bitterly cold! Bitterly!!!

Kimberly said...

Congratulations!!! Your daughter is beautiful!

Kimberly (fellow RQ subject)

Carolyn said...

She is so cute! Our dd was born on May 5, 2007 and was about the same height as your cutie at that age.

J said...

Congrats !!!! I guess the saying is "don't believe everything you hear". She's beautiful.

Joanne

Shelle said...

Congratulations!

Our daughter is from southern Hunan and was 31" and 21# at 13.5 months (exam in Guangzhou) with a size 6 foot (she just has big feet)! She was sad in her referral photos and sad for the first few days in Changsha but is now a very happy, chatty, 28 month old girl. If it helps, she was wearing 12 month and 12-18 month old clothing when we met her in Changsha.

I wish you speedy travels!
Michelle

babslb said...

A group from my church went to the HOhhot orphanage this summer. IF you would like pics of the orphanage or info let me know and I will get my sister to send. All Hohhot babies are in foster care from 3-4 days old until age 3. At 3 they are returned to the orphanage. Congratulations. By the way HOhhot just built a new orphanage and it opened in Novemeber but your baby will have never been at that one.

Yoli said...

Congratulations she is beautiful! As a fellow mother to a Mongol warrior get yourself ready!

Billy and Maggie said...

This comes a little late but the well wishes are just as strong. Congratulations!! Shes so pretty, even with her eyes closed.